Re: GSoC in contemporary notations

From: Tsz Kiu Pang
Subject: Re: GSoC in contemporary notations
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2019 17:30:42 +1100

Hi Urs,
Thank you for your kind advice.

On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 at 00:03, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Tsz Kiu,
>
> I don't know if you intentionally replied personally instead of to the
> list, and in general as much communication as possible should be kept
> public. But since the nature of what you're writing could be considered
> personal to some extent I'll reply in private as well.

Sorry that was a mistake, I will try to keep the communication public from
now on.

> [...]
>>> notation package. One could either say that you should put much of your
>>> results in that package, or we can try to make development of that
>>> package a community effort so that would take work from you, giving you
>>> the freedom to go further with the specific challenges.
>>>

>> Making the development as a community effort sounds great, though I
>> cannot say for sure until I have a solid proposal.
>>

>> What I mean is that to some extent that package could be developed by
>> others ("the community"), relieving you from some of the work. However, I
>> absolutely can't make any promise that this would work out with regard to
>> the community dynamic.
>>

>> This does sound good, a community effort on this project can probably let
> me focus on a more abstract level of things.
>

>> What you should do now is:
>>>
>>>   * [of course dive more into Scheme]
>>>   * get an understanding of openLilyLib with
>>>     a) https://github.com/openlilylib/oll-core/wiki
>>>     b) the code in that repository
>>>     c) looking at how other openLilyLib packages are built within that
>>>     infrastructure
>>>   * Form an idea how a contemporary notation package could be approached
>>>     and discuss that with us
>>>   * Find some small things you could do to openLilyLib package(s) to a)
>>>     practice and b) give us an opportunity to assess your work. If we
>>>     have some idea about your current familiarity with the matter we can
>>>     find some suggestions for that.
>>>

>> Thank you for your concrete and useful suggestions.
>> I will definitely learn how to count parentheses and all that, and also
>> try to familiarise myself with openLilyLib.
>> Though if you do not mind, please except a lot of questions from me in
>> these couple of weeks.
>>

>> Please don't hesitate! The more you interact with us the more we will get
>> to know you. It's also a good way to convince a community of the
>> seriousness of your aspirations ;-)
>>

> I just have some concerns.
> Sorry I might have overestimated myself in the past week, but I realised I
> might not be able to commit for 30+ hours per week during May since I am in
> Australia, the exams are usually in May-early June.
>

> In general "full time" commitment is expected throughout the official
> coding period, and we can't make substantial exceptions. However, a) the
> coding period only begins May 27, the "bonding period" is explicitly not
> included in the full-time commitment. b) it is possible to circumvent the
> issue by starting earlier. I have no idea about your workload during and
> before exams, but if you should be accepted (which is announced May 6) and
> are able to do *some* work in May (not full-time) that would otherwise be
> part of your work in June that should be OK. When exactly would your exams
> be over? What would be your estimate for being able to do *something* in
> May?
>
> Although it is hard to predict exactly what would be my workload in the
next couple of months, I can say I would be able to commit 8-10 hours per
week once I've got accepted.
Though I have just realised I was mistaken before, that my exams is from
11th to 28th June. I can still commit 8 hours per week during that time.
However, considering that it is way into June, I am not sure whether that
will fit into the GSoC timeline.
Worst scenario is that, I might just try to apply for GSoC next year when I
have less study load.

Having said that, I am passionate about this project.
> I just want to check in what is the expectation from you guys in terms of
> commitment?
> I might reevaluate myself in these couple of days.
> Just in case, if I realise in these few days that I do not have the
> capacity for GSoC, would I still be able to contribute to this (or Lilypond
> dev in general) in anyway?
> I would definitely be keen to contribute to the Lilypond community within
> or outside GSoC.
>

> Of course that would be great. There's absolutely nothing that speaks
> against this.

Thank you for your support.

Kind regards,
Tsz Kiu