Re: GSoC in contemporary notations

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: GSoC in contemporary notations
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2019 09:04:07 +0200

This is directed at the other devs, to (please) join the conversation

Am 01.04.19 um 08:30 schrieb Tsz Kiu Pang:

    I just have some concerns.
    Sorry I might have overestimated myself in the past week, but I
    realised I might not be able to commit for 30+ hours per week
    during May since I am in Australia, the exams are usually in
    May-early June.

    In general "full time" commitment is expected throughout the
    official coding period, and we can't make substantial exceptions.
    However, a) the coding period only begins May 27, the "bonding
    period" is explicitly not included in the full-time commitment. b)
    it is possible to circumvent the issue by starting earlier. I have
    no idea about your workload during and before exams, but if you
    should be accepted (which is announced May 6) and are able to do
    *some* work in May (not full-time) that would otherwise be part of
    your work in June that should be OK. When exactly would your exams
    be over? What would be your estimate for being able to do
    *something* in May?

Although it is hard to predict exactly what would be my workload in the next couple of months, I can say I would be able to commit 8-10 hours per week once I've got accepted. Though I have just realised I was mistaken before, that my exams is from 11th to 28th June. I can still commit 8 hours per week during that time. However, considering that it is way into June, I am not sure whether that will fit into the GSoC timeline. Worst scenario is that, I might just try to apply for GSoC next year when I have less study load.

To make things clear for those who have not been following closely: What Tsk Kiu is saying is that he expects being able to

 * commit 8-10 hours per week during the bonding period when he isn't
   officially required to spend specific working time yet. So these
   would be "additional"
 * commit only 8-10 hours during a three week period within the
   official project time
 * [and of course the actual situation during exams is not fully
   predictable]

What do you make of this?

Best
Urs