Re: makelsr

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: makelsr
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2018 18:06:49 +0000

David,

On 28/12/2018 14:13, David Kastrup wrote:
Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

Hi all,

I think we need some guidelines in the case a new lsr-snippet is used
for the docs.
See https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/5251/

James askes not to run makelsr, because a plethora of changes will
clutter the patch-set.
OTOH, a patch can't stand alone and can't be applied for testings by
reviewers without makelsr. So I voted for doing makelsr.

The CG is not clear in this regard (or I didn't understand it)

So how to deal with it?
The best way to do that in my opinion is to do both.  Have the makelsr
changeset as a separate commit (and review changeset) but commit as a
single merge commit, by merging a branch that contains the intermediate
commits that would not compile on their own.

For my ignorance, what happens if one wanted to cherry pick the the 'single merge commit' - wouldn't it be better to have two separate commits?

I always have done this in the past - added the snippet-included-patch as one commit and then run makelsr and commit that as a second.

e.g. http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=commit;h=7b3b9d18392ceeb9b3dc88eb0c18ccaac7e71281

regards

James