Re: GUB lilypond build fails

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: GUB lilypond build fails
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 03:53:41 +0000

On 12/16/18, 6:42 PM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of Andrew Bernard"
<address@hidden on behalf of address@hidden> wrote:

    Hi All,

    I am new to lilypond dev. work. My intention may be naive, but I am wanting
    to do the work to uplift gub and lilypond to python 3. Am I premature, or
    foolish, or misguided? I did have some encouraging email about this
    previously, but I just wanted to check before I dive in and spend large
    amounts of time, especially re GUB.

I'm quite certain you're not premature.

I don't know if you're foolish or misguided.

GUB is a lot old, and a little bit (or maybe more) fragile.  It's primary
developer (Jan) has decided he doesn't want to work more on it.  He'd rather
pursue a different method of doing the cross-compilation.

GUB provides us a pretty wonderful functionality -- it builds for Linux,
Windows, and OSX, so we can provide pre-built binaries for all of those
platforms.

I think that you need to investigate and make your own decision.  Spend a bit
of time trying to get to understand GUB.  Try making the changes you want to
make.  See how it works.  See if you can wrap your arms around it.  If you can
become an expert in GUB, you'll be an invaluable asset to the Lilypond
development team.  Personally, I'd love to have you do that!

Thanks,

Carl