Re: Lilypond Python upgrade

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Lilypond Python upgrade
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 10:22:22 +0100

Il giorno mar 11 dic 2018 alle 9:43, Andrew Bernard <address@hidden> ha scritto:
It was over two and a half years ago I was about to launch into starting
off the upgrade of lilypond to use Python 3. Illness prevented me from
working on that shortly thereafter. I'd like to start it up again.

What is the current status of this work?

Using musicxlm2ly yesterday with lilypond 2.19.82, after encountering bugs
importing from ABC to MusciXML to lilypond, I see the current Python
version included is 2.4.5. I hope we can lift things up a bit further than
that!

Hi Andrew

That would be great. Upgrade to python3 only? Or python2 + python3?
Consider that GUB might not be able to build lilypond anymore until its python is upgraded. There's already a problem, see here:
https://github.com/gperciva/gub/pull/6#issuecomment-431063463

So your work might be kept on hold until GUB is fixed and/or a new build system is set up. I have the feeling that the latter might be less difficult.