libtool 2.2.6 on HP-UX, with DESTDIR, installs lt wrapper instead of rea

From: River Tarnell
Subject: libtool 2.2.6 on HP-UX, with DESTDIR, installs lt wrapper instead of real binary
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 04:02:14 +0000

Hi,

I'm using libtool 2.2.6 on HP-UX 11.11 to build Expat (an XML parser).
Expat is a fairly simple project: it has one library (libexpat) and an
executable (xmlwf) that links to this library.  I've already updated the
libtool that comes with Expat to 2.2.6 to fix this problem, but it
didn't help.

I'm building a standard package, like this:

% ./configure --prefix=/opt/rt
% make
% make install DESTDIR=$HOME/expat

However, libtool refuses to install the real xmlwf binary into $DESTDIR, and
instead installs the wrapper script:

        /bin/sh ./libtool --mode=install conftools/install-sh -c xmlwf/xmlwf
/home/river/expat/opt/rt/bin/xmlwf
libtool: install: warning: `libexpat.la' has not been installed in `/opt/rt/lib'
libtool: install: warning: cannot relink `xmlwf/xmlwf'
libtool: install: conftools/install-sh -c xmlwf/xmlwf
/home/river/expat/opt/rt/bin/xmlwf

% file ~/expat/opt/rt/bin/xmlwf
/home/river/expat/opt/rt/bin/xmlwf:        commands text

I understand what libtool is trying to do here, but I don't *want* it to
relink the binary; when I produce a package from the $DESTDIR staging
area, the library will be installed in /opt/rt/lib as expected.  The
fact that the binary won't work when run from $DESTDIR is a non-issue.

I'm about to just remove libtool entirely and put native commands to
build the library in Expat's Makefile, but before I do that, is this a
known issue, and if so, is there a fix or workaround?

I've seen a few references to this issue on Google (mostly on HP-UX),
but no actual solutions.

Thanks,
River.