Re: Is libtool being maintained at all?

From: Scott James Remnant
Subject: Re: Is libtool being maintained at all?
Date: 07 Jul 2003 02:54:01 +0100

On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 02:40, Charles Wilson wrote:

> Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-07-06 at 11:18, Dalibor Topic wrote:
>

>>http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libt/libtool/libtool_1.4.3-10.diff.gz
> >>etc.
> >>

> > As the Debian Libtool package maintainer, I'd like to know whether
it
> > would be possible to gain CVS commit access to the libtool
repository.

> > Not necessarily to merge in our (fairly hefty, now) patch, but to at
> > least help with some of the work.
>
> NOTE: the following is not authoritative; it's just my (informed?)
> opinion...
>
> I'd guess not.  It appears that debian's changes are all on the 1.4.3
> branch, which is permanently and irrevocably dead.  We really really
> really don't want to provide anybody with more excuses to stay on
1.4.3.

Yeah, the current libtool package is 1.4 -- unfortunately there are
still a huge number of software packages out there still using autoconf
2.13 for whom libtool 1.5 isn't useable until they get their collective
arses in gear and update to 2.5x

>   If John Q. Developer wants new-and-improved libtool functionality,
> then we want JQD to use 1.5.x.

Indeed, I've already packaged libtool 1.5 for Debian.  The only reason
it's not in the archive right now is cowardice.  The Debian libtool
package will be 1.5 within a month or so though.

I'll still be maintaining the 1.4 branch (in a libtool1.4 package) out
of need, there's too much that can't updated to 1.5 yet.

Scott
--
Who welcomes the death of 1.4.x :-)