librefm-discuss

Re: [Librefm-discuss] Libre.fm as the central place for obtaining free m

From: Matija Šuklje
Subject: Re: [Librefm-discuss] Libre.fm as the central place for obtaining free music
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 11:56:40 +0100

Dne torek 2. marca 2010 ob 16:37:59 je George De Bruin napisal(a):
> First, in talking about the content that libre.fm can consider
> offering via torrents, I would suggest that either (a) there is some
> "authority" that can outline what licenses can be considered to be
> compatible with "Libre Culture" as a whole, or if there isn't one,
> maybe this is an area that we could engage someone through the
> Software Freedom law Center, or a similar group to take a role in
> defining the licenses that are compatible with these goals.

I don't know if SFLC is really handling much more then software, but it's
worth a shot, since CC doesn't offer legal advice :P

> Then
> there are some of the newer extensions to copyright such as
> SafeCreative, which may have varying levels of applicability to the
> goals of sharing music that fits into a "Libre Culture".

SafeCreative seems like a nice idea — since it's seems like a registry of
works and their licenses. I'll take a look at it later this week. Since
Libre.fm is only meant to promote free music, we'd have to get a system to
figure out the legal status of the tracks and albums anyway ...even if we
didn't offer a download link.

> Next, while I've seen several mentions of Jamendo in this thread, I
> think it would be to our benefit to consider trying to bring together
> as many sources as possible.  Some of the ones that I can think of off
> the top of my head would include: Internet Archive (especially the
> netlabels collection), Phlow Magazine, Sonic Squirrel, and

Most definitely!! I was giving Jamendo only as an example, since it's the
biggest CC netlabel out there. I already contacted BlocSonic about it and Mike
has not been against it.

> LegalTorrents (which was founded by Simon Carless - the man behind the
> Monotonik Netlabel) .  I especially think that Internet Archive and
> LegalTorrents would be excellent partners for putting together the
> resources that we need for this kind of project.

I agree. Especially with the Internet Archive. I haven't had much dealings
with LegalTorrents yet, but since some CC netlabels already make use of it,
it'd be a logical step for us as well.

Cheers,
Matija

--