jbackpack-discussion

[Jbackpack-discussion] Fwd: Jbackpack doesn't recognise my backup set

From: Alistair Kirk
Subject: [Jbackpack-discussion] Fwd: Jbackpack doesn't recognise my backup set
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 01:33:42 +0000

Thanks for your quick reply Ed.  I've been doing some testing, and my current theory is that the Ubuntu version of rdiff-backup (which I used to create the backup set) is creating file names which are incompatible with Windows (which I'm using to try and access the backup-set via jBackpack and Samba); specifically, most of the files in the rdiff-backup-data directory have dates and times in them which contain colons, and these are unacceptable to windows, and hence to jbackpack running under windows.   (The windows version of rdiff-backup uses semicolons instead...)

At first, Samba was mangling the names in this folder completely to randomised DOS-style 8.3 filenames, so no surprise jbackpack couldn't recognise them as valid rdiff backup byproducts.  Having tweaked my smb.conf (added a line "mangled names = no"), they are now showing properly in Windows explorer, but Windows can't actually access the files, so now jbackpack is showing an error that 'the database is currently in use by another application' or something similar.

According to this page https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+bug/676304 this is a known bug in Samba; in other words as of Jan 2013 there's no straight 'solution', so I'm reduced to hacking around. Again. At the moment I'm presuming I have two options (not including ditching Windows, or throwing all my computers out the nearest window):

1. Tweak Samba somehow to represent colons in filenames as semicolons.  There is a 'mangle map = (foo bar)'  command in the smb.conf specification, but it seems it's been deprecated in recent versions of Samba, so I can't use that. Maybe there's another way?

2. Stop rdiff-backup from creating the colons.  There is a '--use-compatible-timestamps' switch according to the rdiff backup manual (http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup.1.html), which tells rdiff to create file names containing hyphens instead of colons;  however I'm not sure if this would be compatible with jBackpack?

I'll get back to you when I've made some more progress ...   By the way, you're of course right that jbackpack makes its own folder inside the rdiff-backup-data folder.  It gets created when you try to connect to the destination folder, meaning that jbackpack should in theory be perfectly compatible with rdiff backups not directly created using jbackpack.  Thus, my original question is answered, but my problem is not yet solved!