jbackpack-discussion

[Jbackpack-discussion] Jbackpack doesn't recognise my backup set

From: Alistair Kirk
Subject: [Jbackpack-discussion] Jbackpack doesn't recognise my backup set
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 16:40:49 +0000

Hi all, It would be great to have any help you can give me.  I would really love to get going with rdiff-backup and jbackpack - it seems like the ideal solution for me, but I'm having so many problems. I'm trying to organise backup of various laptops on my home network to my server, which is running Ubuntu.

To keep things simple in the testing phase, I eliminated the network part of the workflow, and just tried using the Ubuntu box to create an rdiff-backup from one local directory to another.  I used the standard rdiff-backup command line to create the backup. ie. # rdiff-backup /source /destination.

This ran through successfully; I then created updated the source directory with some new and modified data and successfully ran another rdiff-backup to make sure there was at least one increment in the backup set.  This all works fine, and when I run # rdiff-backup -l /destination I can see the new increment listed, and I can restore from the backup using # rdiff-backup /r now /destination/folder /restorelocation

My server doesn't have a windowing environment installed, so I now want to use JBackPack running on one of my (Windows) network clients to browse the backups I've made using a friendly interface.  The source and destination directories are both shared out from the Ubuntu server over Samba and are readily accessible from the client machines.

However when I access the Restore tab in jBackPack (having configured the destination directory in the Directories tab, I'm just getting the message that 'The selected directory is not yet a backup directory, but will be initialized as such'.

My question is, how does jBackPack recognise an rdiff-backup location? How does a backup made with jbackpack look different from a standard rdiff-backup location, if at all?  How can I get JBackPack to access the backups I've made with rdiff-backup?

I've been trying to find a backup configuration which works reliably for almost two weeks now - I must have tried perhaps fifteen different pieces of software in various combinations, and it's taking up far too much of my spare time. I'd love to have this working and would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Many thanks in advance

Al