iiwusynth-devel

Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Re: [Swami-devel] iiwusynth segfault

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Re: [Swami-devel] iiwusynth segfault
Date: 23 Jan 2003 23:06:11 -0800

On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 13:23, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 05:16, Josh Green wrote:
> > So, do you like Swami/FluidSynth yet? :)  Cheers.
> >     Josh Green
> >
> Too early to tell. It all comes down to what it sounds like,
> then how easy it is to use. Much too early to tell.

Understandable.

> What I need is a soundfont that make a difference to me. Do
> you know of any really good brass samples? I'm working on a
> piece that screams for Tower of Power horns. The GSt stuff
> in that area is much more orchestral.

I don't know of anything specific. Just have a look in those 2 locations
suggested, I'm sure there are pleanty of horns. Finding just the right
one could be interesting.

> I'd also like some good synths with filter resonances. That
> would make a difference also.
>
> Oh, BTW - do people use fluid-synth inside of Swami? Do they
> load Swami and sort of not load fluid-synth at all? What's the
> intended work model?

Currently there are some reasons to use FluidSynth stand alone rather
than via Swami. The Swami FluidSynth plugin does some hackery to allow
can be a problem (especially with huge samples, since there will be a
delay when playing a note that demands a new sample, not ideal at all).
FluidSynth now has some nice API stuff, though, to help this situation,
so in the future there will probably be multiple options for loading
samples (on demand, an entire bank, etc). The on demand feature could
definately be improved as well.

> Take care,
> Mark

Cheers.