hydra-users

Re: How to add a "manual" job

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: How to add a "manual" job
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 13:26:59 +0200

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès wrote:

[...]

>> emacs/release.nix starts with "import ../gnu-jobs.nix", which is what
>> define the actual set of jobs.  So the 'manual' attribute you added is
>> just ignored.
>>
>> Instead, I can think of two options:
>>
>>   1. Add a 'postDist' in the 'tarball' job that installs the manual (see
>>      guile/release.nix for the details.)
>
> Ideally, I'd like to keep the (pdf, html) manuals separate, so that a
> build failure with one of them does not cause the tarball to fail, which
> in turn causes every other job to fail.

Yes, right.

>>   2. Add an extra 'manual' job like this:
>>
>>        (import ../gnu-jobs.nix { ... }) // {
>>          manual =
>>            ...;
>>        })

The snippet above uses ‘//’, which means “concatenate the LHS attribute
set with the RHS attribute set”, effectively adding a ‘manual’ job to
those already defined by gnu-jobs.nix.

> (I'm still finding the nix language hard to parse. :( )

Guix should help with that (well, depending on one’s tastes), though
it’s not yet tailored for this kind of uses.

> Or I guess 3), rewrite it to not import gnu-jobs.nix, which some other
> packages seem not to use. Since we don't use the xbuild_gnu or
> useLatestGnulib from that, there is not an actual lot that would need to
> be copied.

Yes, that’s another option.

Thanks,
Ludo’.