help-zile

[zile-devel] Hack attack

From: Reuben Thomas
Subject: [zile-devel] Hack attack
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 21:46:36 +0100 (CET)

I've finished overhauling the datatype libraries. They are now much leaner
and meaner, and I'm pleased to say that the amount of code in the main app
has also decreased (I think) thanks to the new htable_foreach function
that makes iterating over the elements of a hash table much easier, and
removes the need for all but one call to htable_list (which is still
needed, as it's when the variable names are sorted).

I may well have introduced a few bugs, though hopefully not in the library
code. Under light use, zile is still valgrind-clean.

I've also sliced about 5% off the size of a stripped binary. Admittedly,
most of this would have been achieved anyway with better linking, but
still, it's nice.

I also found and fixed a few bugs, in particular some minor problems in
the build system.

The other thing I've become interested in (because of the recent port to
EPOC, the OS of my PDA, of uEmacs, called eEmacs) is the idea of making
zile work with just termcap. Removing the dependence on ncurses would be
great for reducing the footprint for small systems, but would also rule
out the use of colour. At least it seems worth making an option.

--
http://www.mupsych.org/~rrt/
penitent, a.  undergoing or awaiting punishment (Bierce)