help-texinfo

Re: Info download service

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Info download service
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 22:13:14 -0500

  > That being said, even if it is only centralization of where to find
  > manuals, any centralization is not ideal, but I can't see another way to
  > do it.

Some centralization is important for reasons beyond convenience.  We
need to give the community a centralized method of finding the
official GNU manuals, and the translations whose translators we at
least are in contact with.

It would not be good to recommend that people search for anything that
says it is a translation of a GNU manual, and take that on faith.

  > This is already possible to do that, most of the info manuals are also
  > quite easily available from the web.  Of course there is still some work
  > to do before making it easier, as we are discussing here, but in any case,
if
  > anybody wants to do that code, we cannot stop Distributions from using
  > it.  I do not believe that it would be a code hard to do, so I do not
  > think that whether we do it or not changes much the possibility of
  > having only online info manuals.

Those words are alarming but vague.  They seem to say that some
problems are impossible to prevent, but I can't tell what problems you
mean.