help-texinfo

Re: Info download service

From: Daniel Cerqueira
Subject: Re: Info download service
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 14:42:58 +0000

That is a Debian problem, not a Emacs problem.

My GNU/Linux-libre system does not have that problem. And that would
lead to centralization of manuals, and are we sick of centralization?

Also, it will begin as authors having to upload their manuals to a
central place, only to later that place having problems and having to
make some restrictions, and then new book places arise where you could
upload books with less restrictive policies than the central place,
resulting in people having to upload to various places, or else no one
will read their books. Also distributions stopped providing info books
(they only offer a link) since there is already a outside place that
hosts books for them. Leaving distributions without manuals, for a thing
that should have been dealt with at the Debian distribution level. Now
books can only be obtained by a JavaScript enabled web browser (for
security reasons) and those info book places are praised as an
"innovation of technology" by various magazines. The end.

:-) :-)

Things are good as they are. My best advice is to change from Debian to
Parabola.