help-rcs

Re: Building a simplified RCS.

From: Aaron S. Hawley
Subject: Re: Building a simplified RCS.
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:14:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Rajorshi Ghosh Choudhury wrote:

>  I have been using RCS regularly for a few months now. I know the basic
> RCS commands and have a vague idea about rcs library files (which is
> knowing nothing more than that they exist). Now I have been asked to
> create a "simplified version control for a single user" as part of my
> semester project. I am totally lost. Can someone please tell me how to go
> about it.

you could disallow locking, by setting an alias ci to ci -l so that all
check-ins are locked to the author every single time, by the shell rc file
(.bashrc) by adding the line:

alias ci=ci -l

>     References to sites which offer a general overview of the topic as
> well as show the "dirty" details of implementing such a system would be
> very welcome too.

As the homepage<http://www.gnu.org/software/rcs/> says:

You may also find more information about RCS by looking at man pages (man
foo at the shell prompt) on your system, including:

    man rcsintro
    man rcs
    man rcsfile
    man ci
    man co
    man rcsdiff
    man rlog
    man rcsmerge
    man rcsclean
    man rcsfreeze

also RCS comes with the source copy of Walter Tichy's paper on
RCS<http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/tichy91rc.html>.

if you find none of these sources answer your questions let us know.
/a