help-rcs

Re: GNU RCS co *,v problem

From: Aaron S. Hawley
Subject: Re: GNU RCS co *,v problem
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 14:39:11 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, Dick wrote:

> I am using GNU RCS for Win32 v 5.7 on Windows XP/SP1.
>
> RCS seems to be working ok when I check out a single file (not locked)
> as shown below.
>   >co toc.html
>   RCS/toc.html  -->  toc.html
>   revision 1.2
>   done

there seems to be problems with comma-v (,v) version files on win32.

my thought is checkouts should look like:
    >co toc.html
    RCS/toc.html,v  -->  toc.html
    revision 1.2
    done

> However, when I try to check out all the latest versions, using the
> command shown below, right out of the documentation, I get the following
> error, as shown.
>   >co *,v
>   co: RCS/*,v: Invalid argument
> What is your best guess about the cause of the problem and solution?
> Is this a known problem?

1) co *,v won't work when your version files are in an RCS subdirectory.
2) file wildcard globbing isn't built into RCS, it's left to the
   shell.
3) interestingly bad filenames usually give errors like:
     co: RCS/*,v: No such file or directory
   not "Invalid argument"
3) Get GNU Software for windows and work with a real shell (WinNT cmd
   is no way to live).  http://www.gnu.org/doc/windows.html

hope that helps.
/a