help-rcs

Re: Trimming old diffs to save space

From: Ed Avis
Subject: Re: Trimming old diffs to save space
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 22:40:55 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Aaron S. Hawley wrote:

>what you want to accomplish is legitimate.  however, i think the RCS
>philosophy would be, "What do you want to keep the log information
>for and not the revisions?!".

Well, because the diffs for previous revisions come to several
megabytes, while even in a highly caffeinated state I cannot write a
log message quite that long :-).

>you could keep the logs by storing rlog output to file, and then
>using the `rcs -o` outdating command to remove everything.

If I did that it would probably be better to delete the RCS file
altogether and start a new one (well, in my particular case, since I
do not have tags or anything like that).

>i'll be interested to hear if RCS is okay with empty deltas (diffs).

Good point.  I might have to invent a diff (like adding 'hello there'
or 'this version is not checked out properly') to the end of the file.

--
Ed Avis <address@hidden>