Re: [Help-gnu-radius] User-Password character

From: Maurice Makaay
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] User-Password character
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:30:23 +0200

Hi,

> I try to set a User-Password including "=", "!" and "$" characters.
> But the password which is included these characters is always not
> recognized as a password and authentication is failed. Otherwise are
> no problem. Is there any character limitation for User-Password?
>
> For example:
> test  Auth-Type = Local,
>               User-Password = "PEh=lERL"
>       Service-Type = Framed-User,
>                 Framed-Protocol = PPP
>
> System : Redhat Linux ES3
> GNU-Radius version 1.3

Did you use something like

  username-chars  "address@hidden&\\/="

in your radius config file? The equal sign is normally not a password
character which is accepted.

Next to that: are you testing using the command line testing tools?
There I have always had troubles testing password withs an equal sign
in them, because this one is also used for separating keys and values
(like "password=thepassword", where "password=3$8d=!$= is confusing the
parser). It has been a long time since I've used those tools, so this
might not be an issue anymore.

Regards,

Maurice Makaay
InterNLnet BV