Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Question: Using SQL Accounting

From: Gerald
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Question: Using SQL Accounting
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:11:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Bob Robichaud wrote:

> Thanks Again Gerald, the script importing the master.passwd file to a
> database worked like a charm.

Great!

> I'm assuming I no longer need any of the
> columns other than username and cryptpass.

I imported the whole password file just in case there was something hidden
in the GECOS field or otherwise that I needed later. For authentication,
you only need those 2 though. (I hate throwing data away. One of my many
sysadmin teachers, Scott Lambert, ingrained that in to me.)

> As for the  raddb/sqlserver configuration we only have dial up service, so
> is there really any purpose or need to have the groups table and attrib
> table.

The groups table probably not. In the attrib table, you can give static
addresses to users same as you would in the users file. Neither is
required for authentication to succeed though.

> Is not the following in my users file sufficient.
>
> DEFAULT Auth-Type = SQL
>         Service-Type = Framed-User
>         Framed-Protocol = PPP

Yes that isn't not correct...but with correct syntax (note commas):

DEFAULT Auth-Type = SQL,
                Simultaneous-Use = 1
        Service-Type = Framed-User,
                Framed-Protocol = PPP

Simultaneous-Use is optional, but I don't like people giving their
accounts to friends and having everyone in NYC dial in under the same
username/password.

Gerald