[Help-gnu-radius] Adding lockout capability

From: David Beards
Subject: [Help-gnu-radius] Adding lockout capability
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 21:26:30 +1100

Hi Everyone,

I'm seeking some assistance on how I can achieve the following.

I've configured GNU RADIUS v1.2 to use authentication using the system method and authenticating against the standard UNIX password file.

What I would like to do for security purposes is lock users out if they use the incorrect password when trying to connect. From what I can see checking if they have failed before and clearing the fail if less than four attempts has been reached is easy by using Exec-Program-Wait after they have authenticated and using a simple shell script.

e.g. the USERS file looks like this:

DEFAULT Auth-Type = System,
                Simultaneous-Use = 1
        Exec-Program-Wait = "/usr/local/sbin/failedtest"
        Service-Type = Framed-User,
                Framed-Protocol = PPP

The question I have is how can I modify the file if a failed authentication occurs? At the moment if the user fails with an incorrect password RADIUS fails them and the "failedtest" script is never executed.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

David Beards
Technical Manager Networks and Systems
CFA