Re: Building Emacs out of source tree?

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Building Emacs out of source tree?
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 09:25:16 +0100

    >> If this is on GNU/Linux, then you shouldn't need to have any
    >> rpl_chmodat anywhere.  I just searched my source/build tree on
    >> GNU/Linux, and didn't find rpl_chmodat anywhere.  So once again,
    >> please investigate.

    Tomas> It is GNU/Linux, yes, and this was my take too, since "my" libc
    Tomas> does carry a chmodat.

That in itself doesnʼt mean gnulib wonʼt try to replace it: sometimes
gnulib deems libc versions of functions buggy and wraps them. But I
donʼt see that for chmodat on my GNU/Linux box.

    >> And in any case, this doesn't seem to have anything to do with
    >> out-of-tree builds, does it?

    Tomas> Thing is, in-tree build (after a make bootstrap) succeeds right
    Tomas> away. Out of tree builds (also after make bootstrap) failed for
    Tomas> me as described above.

Did you build in-tree and then build out-of-tree? Maybe 'make
bootstrap' in that situation is missing some cleanup.

    Tomas> So I'll definitely have a look. Next week is a bit busy, so it
    Tomas> might take me until weekend.

    Tomas> Thanks for confirming that (a) out-of-tree build is supposed to
    Tomas> work and (b) there is interest in knowing when it doesn't.

Yes to both (and it works fine for me).

Robert