Re: Building Emacs out of source tree?

From: Basile Starynkevitch
Subject: Re: Building Emacs out of source tree?
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 18:53:59 +0100

On 3/17/24 15:18, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
If this is on GNU/Linux, then you shouldn't need to have any
rpl_chmodat anywhere.  I just searched my source/build tree on
GNU/Linux, and didn't find rpl_chmodat anywhere.  So once again,
please investigate.

And in any case, this doesn't seem to have anything to do with
out-of-tree builds, does it?

Now I'd be willing to gather more details for a bug report if
there is an interest in keeping out of source tree compiles
viable; for me those aren't that crucial anymore, with the
advent of git and of 1TB+ disks.

What do you think? Do we still care for out of source builds?
Of course we do.  They are supported and should continue to be
supported.

I actually am git pulling and buiding GNU emacs on Linux Debian/x86-64  (inside its source tree) more than twice a week.

(Why do you want to build it outside of source tree?)

Very often it build and works ok.

rimski.x86_64 % /usr/local/bin/emacs-30.0.50 --version GNU Emacs 30.0.50 Development version ad3a3ad6e616 on master branch; build date 2024-03-16. Copyright (C) 2024 Free Software Foundation, Inc. GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. You may redistribute copies of GNU Emacs under the terms of the GNU General Public License. For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

Thanks

--
Basile Starynkevitch<basile@starynkevitch.net>
(only mine opinions / les opinions sont miennes uniquement)