Re: New installation of GNU Emacs 28.2, (Debian bookworm,) error

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New installation of GNU Emacs 28.2, (Debian bookworm,) error
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 09:03:15 +0200

> Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 13:41:07 -0700
> From: conover@panix.com (John Conover)
>
> Eli Zaretskii writes:
> >
> > But anyway: why are you compiling your init file?  It isn't supposed
> > to include any significant Lisp code that is worth compiling.
>
> I didn't recompile it. Emacs 28 did not recognize ~/.emacs as the
> source, but did recognize the ~/.emacs.elc file.

That's very strange: I've been using all the versions of Emacs since
19.30 till now with ~/.emacs, and never had any problems with its
recognizing this init file.

> I had to ln -s .emacs .emacs.el to make it work; it then compiled
> ~.emacs.el into ~/.emacs.d/eln-cache/*.
>
> Seems odd to be shuffling around file names and directories for a
> program that is 40 years old this year.

Indeed, and it shouldn't be necessary.  Perhaps there's something
special in your arrangement of files and/or directories of importance
to Emacs, which causes this.  If you can find out what that is, please
submit a bug report, if Emacs 29 still doesn't recognize ~/.emacs
(after you delete .emacs.el, .emacs.elc, and the corresponding .eln
file).