Re: New installation of GNU Emacs 28.2, (Debian bookworm,) error

From: John Conover
Subject: Re: New installation of GNU Emacs 28.2, (Debian bookworm,) error
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 13:41:07 -0700

Eli Zaretskii writes:
> > Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 12:19:59 -0700
> > From: conover@panix.com (John Conover)
>
> I think this has been fixed in Emacs 29 already.
>
> But anyway: why are you compiling your init file?  It isn't supposed
> to include any significant Lisp code that is worth compiling.

I didn't recompile it. Emacs 28 did not recognize ~/.emacs as the
source, but did recognize the ~/.emacs.elc file. I had to ln -s .emacs
.emacs.el to make it work; it then compiled ~.emacs.el into
~/.emacs.d/eln-cache/*.

Seems odd to be shuffling around file names and directories for a
program that is 40 years old this year.

    Thanks,

    John

--