Re: emacs 29, drag and drop files (copy) from one directory to another i

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: emacs 29, drag and drop files (copy) from one directory to another in dired mode
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 12:12:39 +0100

>>> "PL" == Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
> <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

>> Hi
>>
>> I never thought about it, but I set the variable
>>
>> dired-mouse-drag-files t.
>>
>> That however does not allow me to copy (or move) a file from one
>> directory to another it seems.

> What window system are you running, and precisely what behavior are you
> expecting?  dired-mouse-drag-file enables dragging files from Emacs to
> other applications and between windows, but not within one window where
> a Dired buffer is displayed.

I am on Ubuntu running trinity that is a fork of KDE3 for more recent
Ubuntu versions.

I spit the windows in two and tried to drag a file from one directory to
the other in same window. That failed.

However I just realized that it works if I open a new frame (of the same
emacs), at least of one per one base, but it seems I can drag and drop a
bunch of files (if I am not mistaken)

That is indeed very nice (although I am not a huge fan of
frames...)

Thanks

--
I strongly condemn Hamas heinous despicable pogroms/atrocities on Israel
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.