Re: package-vc.el should not fetch all commits.

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: package-vc.el should not fetch all commits.
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2024 14:54:17 +0000

>> You say there is an intention behind package-vc.el. Do you know the
>> intention?
>
> Yes, it's to install a package in a way that lets you easily hack on it,
> including keeping some local changes, fixing bugs, submitting them
> upstream, merging with some other version of the package, try a new
> branch, ..

Right, but there is no inherent problem in supporting other workflows,
as long as it is reasonably doable.  E.g. we could add a user option
that could influence the arguments passed to vc-git-clone, so that one
can inject a --depth=1 argument, and restructure some of the package-vc
functionality to make it reusable for other intents (e.g. better
isolating the "building" from the "installing"), so that other packages
can make use of the logic that prepares manuals or resolves
dependencies.  But that should probable be discussed in a bug report,
not here.

--
        Philip Kaludercic on peregrine