Re: smtpmail-send-queued-mail fails with error 504 5.5.2

From: Manuel Giraud
Subject: Re: smtpmail-send-queued-mail fails with error 504 5.5.2
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 10:07:22 +0100

rameiko87@posteo.net writes:

>> I've never touch 'message-user-fqdn' in years of doing mail into
>> Emacs.
>>

> But then your Message-Id is not RFC compliant? This is the reason why
> I set it.

I've just checked and my "Message-Id"s look like
<something>@ledu-giraud.fr.  So they seem to be correct and, as I said,
I've never fiddled with 'message-user-fqdn'.

> The default address in the From: field is
> usernameofmymachine@message-user-fqdn. This is already strange because
> it should use 'user-mail-address' since message-user-fqdn is
> explicitly reserved for Message-Id as the description of this variable
> says. I guess this is the first question we need to answer.

Yes it shouldn't be "usernameofmymachine@message-user-fqdn".  It should
be the value of 'user-mail-address'.  Could you try starting from "emacs
-Q", set 'user-mail-address' to what you want and 'M-x message-mail'?

> The second question is why the From header is ignored (from the
> message as saved in 'queued email folder') when sending with
> smtpmail-send-queued-mail. This is really worrisome!

Yes, this is something else but I imagine that
'smtpmail-send-queued-mail' respect 'user-mail-address'.

>  By the way because you ask, the reason why I change the From header
>  is that I use a variety of different email addresses for the
>  different affiliations which I have.

I do this too and it is just a matter of changing 'user-mail-address'
and 'smtpmail-smtp-server'.
--
Manuel Giraud