Re: creating an afk timeline

From: tpeplt
Subject: Re: creating an afk timeline
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 15:16:50 -0500

> i often do something non-computer without marking when i started.
>
> i'd like to know when i stopped using emacs, or linux, for a while, so
> i can figure out when i likely started.  perhaps a timeline of
> idleness, preferably in emacs, could help me guess when i started
> doing non-computer.
>
> this could help me guess when i rested, took a supplement, brushed
> teeth, etc.  sometimes i need to know when 2h is up after i started.

1. In the ‘melpa-stable’ package repository, there is at least one
package called ‘activity-track-mode’ (Summary: Automatic time tracking
extension.) that sounds like it might be what you are looking for.  You
can install it via the ‘list-packages’ command *after* adding
("melpa-stable" . "http://stable.melpa.org/packages/";) to your
‘package-archives’ variable.  This is easily done with:

   M-x customize-variable [RET]
   Customize variable: package-archives

Then within the *Customize Option* buffer, click on the INS button and
fill in the Archive name with melpa-stable and the URL or directory name
with http://stable.melpa.org/packages/, and then click on the ‘Apply’ or
the ‘Apply and Save’ button.

2. Alternatively, you could install one of the several pomodoro
extensions.  Pomodoro is a timer tool (available in many forms outside
of Emacs) that turns on a timer (typically 20 or 25 minutes) that is
used for a period of focused work followed by a brief break (typically 5
minutes).  This is the time during which you get away from your keyboard
to get some movement, water, change your eyes focus, etc., and then
resume another focus period.  Again, using ‘list-packages’ and searching
for ‘pomodoro’ should bring you to one of the various extensions that
might be suitable.