Re: How much memory to debug Emacs nowadays?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How much memory to debug Emacs nowadays?
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2023 20:35:05 +0200

> Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2023 19:24:01 +0100
> From:  Manuel Giraud via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
> <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> I was trying to debug Emacs into GDB 9.2 (through M-x gdb into another
> Emacs).  As instructed by etc/DEBUG, I have compiled it with "-O0 -g3".
>
> But when I'm running this debugged Emacs, GDB starts to allocates *lots*
> of memory (nearly 4GB) and now I regurlarly end up with the following
> error: Recursive internal problem.
>
> I say "now" because this used to work flawlessly some months ago.  My
> question is: Is 4GB for debugging Emacs expected or is something
> misconfigured on my side?

Something on your side, I'd say.  Just starting "emacs -Q" under GDB
takes only between 100MB and 130MB (depending on whether Emacs is
built without or with native-compilation) of memory for GDB on my
system.  (This is GDB 13.1, but I doubt that the GDB version could
matter that much.)

Does GDB allocate memory right at the beginning, or when you do
something specific in Emacs?  Also, do you invoke "emacs -Q" from GDB
or do you run Emacs with all your customizations?