Re: Compiling software with Cask without internet

From: Edgar Lux
Subject: Re: Compiling software with Cask without internet
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 17:40:56 +0100 (CET)

I was able to install PDF-tools from sources in Linux. I hope that this is
useful to someone:

This replaces the /Installation Instructions for ~epdfinfo~/ in the README.org
1. Get the sources and requirements for:
   s.el f.el dash.el shut-up ert-runner.el undercover.el ecukes el-mock.el
commander.el espuds ansi.el tablist cask
2. Download the pdf-tools repo
3. Download the attached patch
4. Open the patch and change /home/edgar/.emacs.d/my-site-lisp by the place
where you keep your emacs packages
5. Download and setup Cask (inside the directory that you used in the previous
step, or change the path in the patch also)
6. Apply the attached patch that you just modified
7. Compile in the pdf-tools directory (run make)
8. Copy server/epdfinfo to lisp/
9. Load pdf-tools as usual, but from the load-path in step 4 (either with
:load-path in use-package or whatever other means;
<your-packages>/pdf-tools/lisp should be in your load-path).
10. From the /Installing pdf-tools elisp code/ in the README.org, skip the
regular procedure, only do:

    To complete the installation process, you need to activate the package by
putting the code below somewhere in your ~.emacs~.  Alternatively, and if you
care about startup time, you may want to use the loader version instead.
    #+begin_src elisp
      (pdf-tools-install)  ; Standard activation command
      (pdf-loader-install) ; On demand loading, leads to faster startup time
    #+end_src

Do NOT use

    (add-hook 'doc-view-mode-hook 'doc-view-set-slice-from-bounding-box).

Good luck. If it works for you, great!

On Sep 26, 2023 at 1:50 PM, Edgar Lux <edgarlux@mailfence.com> wrote:Hello,

Does anybody know how I can install software with Cask without internet? (is
there a way to download the sources and use them without internet?) At the
moment, I noticed that pdf-tools (https://github.com/vedang/pdf-tools) does
this:

    (source gnu)
    (source melpa)

and that there is no way to proceed when commenting those out or plainly
unplugging the Internet. Furthermore, many of the dependencies are interlinked
(ert-runner.el undercover.el ecukes el-mock.el commander.el espuds ansi.el;
most of them coming from https://github.com/rejeep/). For example, undercover
depends on ert-runner, which depends on ecukes, which depends on espuds, which
depends on ert-runner. I tried hacking the Makefile by adding

    CASK = EMACSLOADPATH="paths to all those packages after git
clone:$EMACSLOADPATH" cask

but that did not work. Thank you.

--
Sent with https://mailfence.com