Configure python-flymake-command to use ruff instead of pyflakes

From: Niall Dooley
Subject: Configure python-flymake-command to use ruff instead of pyflakes
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 15:52:35 +0100

I'm trying to update the variable `python-flymake-command' to use ruff
[1] instead of pyflakes (the default).  The docstring suggests one can
use flake8 instead of pyflakes so I'm hoping that means one can also use
ruff instead of pyflakes.  I understand flake8 is a wrapper around
pyflakes.

I've set the variable via the customize interface as follows based on
this reddit post [2] but to no avail on Emacs 27.1:

(custom-set-variables
'(python-flymake-command '("ruff" "--quiet" "--stdin-filename=stdin" "-")))

I'm aware of flymake-ruff [3] and ruff-flymake [4] but I thought if I
could set this variable accordingly I could avoid the use of these third
party packages.

Thanks for Emacs and your time.

[1]: https://docs.astral.sh/ruff/
[2]: