Re: the «inverse» function of join-lines

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: the «inverse» function of join-lines
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 16:43:26 +0200

>>> "NK" == Nikolay Kudryavtsev <nikolay.kudryavtsev@gmail.com> writes:

> Incidentally I have a somewhat related question I've been wondering
> about recently.

> So I have a massive txt ebook that I've been slowly reediting into an
> org file, for the purposes of easier navigation and textual analysis.

> It is also fill-paragraphed. I've been considering the idea of
> removing all superfluous line breaks.

> Now, mechanically it's quite doable - you check for sentence end
> punctuation signs at line endings and if there isn't one you remove
> the line break. There would of course be some false positives...

> This task seems like a somewhat common editing task, so I've been
> wondering if someone has a working code for it already, maybe there
> are some gotchas there, that I haven't though about.

I usually run first  unfill-paragraph-or-region (found in
org-mode-map), which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
‘next-longline.el’.

And then use either

    1. Virtual-auto-fill-mode on

    2. Or auto-fill-on, and run fill-paragraph and friends

But of course as you said, false positives. Etc but as a first approach it is
quite good.

--
Warning: Content may be disturbing to some audiences
I strongly condemn Hamas bestialic terroristic attack on Israel, especially the