Re: UTF-8 characters in comments of a program

From: Basile Starynkevitch
Subject: Re: UTF-8 characters in comments of a program
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 17:54:34 +0200

On 10/21/23 13:24, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 10:48:10 +0000
From: Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

AFAIK, C/C++ compilers support this only in recent versions.
Would you know if there is support for languages in Gnu GCC ?
Depends on the version, and I don't remember which one started
supporting it, sorry.

Recent versions (after GCC 10, and probably a few versions before) are supporting UTF-8 in comments and literal strings.

For Emacs Lisp, the answer is YES, as the default encoding of ELisp files is
UTF-8.
My difficulty is how am I going to introduce them to an elisp source file.

M-x insert-char

or copy/paste on Linux from a charmap or a browser.

Just type ? followed by the character, which you can type via "C-x 8 RET"
followed by the Unicode codepoint in hex.

NB. My pet open source software (work in progress) is the RefPerSys GPLv3+ inference engine project on https://github.com/RefPerSys/RefPerSys/

--
Basile Starynkevitch
 <basile@starynkevitch.net>