Re: UTF-8 characters in comments of a program

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: UTF-8 characters in comments of a program
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 15:49:41 +0200

Jonathon McKitrick via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

>> If you want to know whether language compilers and
>> interpreters accept UTF-8 encoded characters, then you will
>> need to consult the documentation of the relevant compiler.
>> AFAIK, C/C++ compilers support this only in recent
>> versions. For Emacs Lisp, the answer is YES, as the default
>> encoding of ELisp files is UTF-8.
>
> A few years ago I found a bug in an input form of our web
> app, and I thoroughly enjoyed writing unit tests to verify
> the fix, including the 'poo' emoji. This was in Scala, BTW.

In certain applications, notably those who deal with
communication between people, those chars sure has their
place, just like support for different human languages, not
just English, obviously should be supported.

For example when I talk about countries in my smartphone
Signal app, I like to add their flags after the country names.
It spices things up and look nice and besides everyone loves
flags, right?

But in computer-computer technology and programming not so
much so IMO. I'm sure modern programming languages that are
designed and implemented today can support them, but what is
the gain, really? Maybe I'm just old-school.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal