Re: Make scroll-{up, down} move point to {start, end} of newly visible t

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Make scroll-{up, down} move point to {start, end} of newly visible text
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2023 08:31:26 +0300

> From: Spencer Baugh <sbaugh@janestreet.com>
> Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2023 15:58:49 -0400
>
> > Sure.  So I can have either point at EOB, or EOB at the end of the
> > window, but not both at the same time.  Which is bad for comint buffers,
> > since they usually have point at EOB.
> >
> > I think this would be a good thing to improve: supporting this
> > capability in scroll-margin.  Unless, it already exists somehow?
>
> It occurs to me that one way to do this is to disallow Emacs from
> scrolling past the end of a buffer.  The default behavior is that with
> C-l one can scroll past the end of a buffer, so there's empty space
> displayed on screen.  But maybe there's a way to disallow that, so the
> last line of the buffer is never above the last line of the window.
>
> Is there a way to get Emacs to do that?  Seems like the kind of thing
> someone would have implemented at some point.

We have this only for scrolling with the scroll bar: see
scroll-bar-adjust-thumb-portion.  Implementing this for every possible
kind of scrolling would need changes to C code, I think, since
scrolling is actually performed by the display engine.  Suggest to
file a feature-request bug report, and patches are welcome.