Re: Make scroll-{up, down} move point to {start, end} of newly visible t

From: Spencer Baugh
Subject: Re: Make scroll-{up, down} move point to {start, end} of newly visible text
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2023 10:45:07 -0400

hw <hw@adminart.net> writes:
> On Mon, 2023-07-31 at 16:18 -0400, Spencer Baugh wrote:
>> After I use scroll-up or scroll-down, I want to start reading the new
>> text on the screen.  But it's easy to lose track of where the new text
>> start, especially with larger values of next-screen-context-lines.
>>
>> So, I would like scrolling to move point to the division between old and
>> new text.  Then the location of the cursor will help me keep track of
>> which text is new and which text is old.
>>
>> Concretely, this means scroll-up should put point at the beginning of
>> the new text (and therefore at the end of the old text), and scroll-down
>> should put point at the end of the new text (and therefore at the
>> beginning of the old text).
>>
>> Is this possible?
>
> Maybe try the following:
>

> (setq scroll-preserve-screen-position t)
> (setq scroll-conservatively 0)
> (setq scroll-margin 1)
>

> With this, I can see point and that is where the text scrolls to.

No, I don't think this does what I said at all, I'm afraid.

>> Alternative suggestions for how I can keep track of what text is new on
>> screen after scrolling are also appreciated.
>>
>> I think I only want this for scroll-{up,down} and
>> scroll-other-window{,-down} but possibly it would make sense for other
>> commands which I don't know.
>>
>> (I would file a bug requesting this feature, but scrolling is so
>> fundamental that perhaps this is already supported by some combination
>> of features which I don't know)
>
> Have you tried scroll-lock-mode?

Yes, it's nice, but I also want the normal scroll-{up,down} commands to
work.

I think scroll-lock-mode could do with a more convenient default
binding, also.  A lot of programmers, including me, have keyboards which
don't have a scroll lock key...