Re: Question about Emacs client and server

From: PierGianLuca
Subject: Re: Question about Emacs client and server
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 17:43:46 +0200

Regarding closing frames etc., my use case seldom involves killing a
buffer so it's not something I have encountered.  I let buffers build up

I used to do that, but realized that (in my case) it complicated the
buffer-switching – often had to go through a long list of buffers or many
partial-name-matches before finding the right one.

In your other post, adding --no-wait is likely to cause issues with some
uses, I would imagine, where the invoking program thinks you are done...

Thank you for the warning. Yes I fear that. I'll check what happens next time I
invoke such a program.

Incidentally, I saw hat in the folder where Emacs (28.1 in my case) gets compiled, it
creates an "emacsclient.desktop" file with the following quite complex call:

sh -c "if [ -n \\"\\$*\\" ]; then exec emacsclient --alternate-editor=
--display=\\"\\$DISPLAY\\" \\"\\$@\\"; else exec emacsclient --alternate-editor= --create-frame;
fi" placeholder %F

I suppose it's written this way to take care of different displays.

I'll report later on how things are going with this setup, if anyone is
interested.

One last comment: I also found it useful to set "server-client-instructions" to
'nil'.

Thank you again Eric!
Luca