Re: Question about Emacs client and server

From: PierGianLuca
Subject: Re: Question about Emacs client and server
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 15:56:07 +0200

Ok it seems that if I add a --no-wait

emacsclient --no-wait -a emacs -c

then "kill-current-buffer" will not delete the client frame.

I only have to check whether this interferes with programs that temporarily
call Emacs to edit some text files...

Thank you again for the suggestion!

On 230712 14:34, Eric S Fraga wrote:
I achieve pretty much what you want by *always* executing

emacsclient -a emacs -c

(with optional file to open) which will start a fresh emacs is not
already running but otherwise will create a new frame.

It is up to your emacs initialization to take care of the desktop
configuration (something I do not do).

The only thing I cannot help with is:

I notice that some Emacs frames are "emacsclient" ones (they have a
"@" in the status line); others are not. I don't see why they should
be different.

but I don't find this to be an issue.  YMMV, of course.