Re: Pressing ? does not allow window scrolling through the list of info

From: uzibalqa
Subject: Re: Pressing ? does not allow window scrolling through the list of info commands
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 19:48:03 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Saturday, July 8th, 2023 at 7:34 AM, Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 at 02:06, Eli Zaretskii eliz@gnu.org wrote:
>
> > > ‘help-mode-map’ has ‘q’ bound to ‘quit-window’ and that’s the minimal
> > > fuss way to return from the help window. It also would help build
> > > habits that work with a wide set of buffers in Emacs.
> >
> > And how will we tell the user that 'q' quits? In the echo-area,
> > perhaps?
>

> Echo area, or header line, or mode line, whatever.
>
> > > As it is, the user has to build three sets of habits […]
> >
> > You exaggerate the problem. A typical user of computers these days
> > needs much more than 3 sets of habits for similar actions. And
> > scrolling with SPC in Emacs is quite a widely-used paradigm.
>

> Users who know about scrolling with Space also expect Shift+Space to
> scroll in reverse.

I find it strange that although we are talking about newbies using '?',
we now start talking about users knowing about scrolling with Space and
also expect Shift+Space for the reverse.  In this day and age, users
knowing such things are not newbies, but passed over programmers working
post retirement.