Re: Emacs 29 and Tramp and Remote Dired confusion

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Emacs 29 and Tramp and Remote Dired confusion
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 14:39:16 +0200

Bill Benedetto <bbenedetto@goodyear.com> writes:

> Good day.

Hi Bill,

> I'm confused about what I'm seeing in Emacs 29.
>
> Heretofore, when I copied a file in a remote dired, it would keep the same
> timestamp.
> AFAIK, that's always worked and always been the default.
>
> However, that is not the default in Emacs 29.
> When I copy a file, it copies it with the current timestamp instead of the
> original.
>
> I'm an admin and do this stuff all day.
> This is a deal breaker for me.
>
> I've nosed around and didn't see anything in the NEWS about a change like
> that.
> And I've tried to figure out what variable I need to (re)set to get the old
> behavior back, but haven't found it yet.
>
> I'm using emacs 29.0.92 (but I saw the same result in the previous two
> pretests).
>
> Can someone shed some light on this for me?

I cannot reproduce it here. Scenario, using a recent build of Emacs 29:

# ~/src/emacs-29/src/emacs ~/

;; There is a file ccc, which is from last year. Dired shows it like

  -rw-rw-r--.  1 albinus albinus     173 Jun 22  2022 ccc

;; I type "C", and give as remote target "/ssh:anotherhost:/tmp"
;; It is copied to the remote host, where it didn't exist before.
;; Then I type "C-x C-f /ssh:anotherhost:/tmp", and I see there

  -rw-rw-r--  1 albinus albinus    173 Jun 22  2022 ccc

Could you pls give me your recipe when it fails?

> Thanks!
>
> - Bill

Best regards, Michael.