Re: Pressing ? does not allow window scrolling through the list of info

From: uzibalqa
Subject: Re: Pressing ? does not allow window scrolling through the list of info commands
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 11:38:32 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Friday, July 7th, 2023 at 6:38 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > From: Yuri Khan yuri.v.khan@gmail.com
> > Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 13:00:30 +0700
> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> >
> > However, what is the reason for that event loop?
>

> The reason is to allow return to the manual with minimal fuss. As the
> user who invokes "?" is very likely to be a newbie to Emacs, having
> them to deal with buffers and windows at this point is unwise, to say
> the least.

For newbies it is even more strange to see oneself getting diverted back
to the manual, considering that many are used to traverse a buffer with
the arrow keys or mouse scroll.  Particularly when such buffer scrolling
operations work as expected within the manual.

> For the same reason, the first screenful displayed by "?" should show
> all of the essential commands, leaving the next screenful to show the
> advanced and more rarely-used ones.
>
> I'm not saying I object to adding more keys to scroll the display
> there, but the simplicity of going back to the manual should be
> preserved.

The informational note about how to traverse the buffer shewn in the
Echo Area should be written at the beginning, as soon as the newbie
(or not) gets to the '?' page.