Re: Edit Wikipedia Article directly in Emacs?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Edit Wikipedia Article directly in Emacs?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 18:43:39 +0200

Philip Kaludercic wrote:

>> Can Emacs (With Org-Mode) edit wikipedia articles directly?
>
> As in technically possible? Yes. As in there is a package
> that already lets you do this? I don't know, there doesn't
> appear to be anything like that on ELPA.

I am also not aware of anyone doing that. Is anyone?

>> I created an account on wikipedia and want to write a new
>> article. I prefer to write in Org-Mode.
>
> I am not sure how good of an idea this is, to my
> recollection Wikipedia markup is fairly specific and it is
> not easy to map between different markup formats without
> loosing too much information.

This part is not so difficult, mapping is not so difficult and
if anyone ever got it to work, one would build from that and
ultimately end up with a little module so one could eventually
write directly with Wikipedia's own syntax with no mapping to
it actually, while enjoying both general Emacs editing
features and specific ones just for wikis.

No, rather, what is difficult is, what technology is employed
to do this interactively from a browser to begin with? If it
is JavaScript, then that rules out Emacs-w3m since there is no
support for JavaScript (to my knowledge anyway). If there is
something else, be it Ajax maybe, or something else? And do we
have it?

If Wikipedia comes with an API with which we can communicate
with a remote protocol, then one should focus on that and try
to do just a "from Emacs with love" example page, because
that's the difficult part, after that it is just fun and games
adding one feature after another, and I think several people
would dive into that.

A starting point is perhaps: How does the Emacs wiki
handle it? Yeah, if that can't be edited from Emacs, it's bad.
Reaaaly bad!

Do please report back anything you find out in this matter ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal