Re: inhibit-message, "Beginning of buffer" / "End of buffer" messages

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: inhibit-message, "Beginning of buffer" / "End of buffer" messages
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 17:45:59 +0100

John Magolske <listmail@b79.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to suppress the "Beginning of buffer" / "End of buffer"
> messages that show up when the cursor in the minibuffer is moved all
> the way to the left & all the way to the right. It seems that setting
> "inhibit-message" might take care of this, but I'm having no luck with

These "messages" are actually errors, so `inhibit-message' has no effect
(and I think you would regret sooner or later when setting
`inhibit-message' globally to t).

AFAICT there is no user option to achieve what you want.  I would try it
like this:

(defun my-ignore-bet-end-of-buffer--around-ad (f &rest args)
  (condition-case nil
      (apply f args)
    ((beginning-of-buffer end-of-buffer))))

(advice-add 'left-char :around
            #'my-ignore-bet-end-of-buffer--around-ad)

(advice-add 'right-char :around
            #'my-ignore-bet-end-of-buffer--around-ad)

Regards,

Michael.