Re: Abbrevs for the most frequent elisp symbols

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Abbrevs for the most frequent elisp symbols
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 09:50:11 +0000 (UTC)

Stefan Monnier <monnier <at> iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> If you use the `initials' completion style, "wcb" will match
> "with-current-buffer" (along with various others), so if we add a good
> sorting based on known usage frequency (as suggested by the OP), the
> cycling completion will behave very similarly to his abbrevs.

I wonder if it is possible to combine abbrevs with completion.

I feel the most convenient completion is abbrevs, because then you
don't have to press anything to complete, it just happens. But
if we use initials then there can be collisions.

What if we could use initial-abbrevs to type lisp symbols, but when
there is more possible completions for the abbrev (e.g. if there is an
other  completion for wcb than with-current-buffer) then at
abbrev expansion it would pop up a completion menu like company, etc.
so right below the  line) with the possible completions sorted by
frequency with the most frequent at the top.

This would be the most convenient solution, because then you could
just type initials and completions would pop up without pressing
anything, or if there is no collision then it would expand
immediately like any other abbrev.