Re: Abbrevs for the most frequent elisp symbols

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Abbrevs for the most frequent elisp symbols
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 16:47:55 -0500

> I've been fiddling with something very similar over last months and I'm
> loving it. It's really brought my elisp programming to unprecedented
> speeds with essentially no effort.
> I'll try to polish it into a package now (over the new year) and bring
> it here. Then perhaps we could make it into a built-in minor-mode or
> something.

One way to integrate this kind of feature would be into the
cycling completion (typically controlled by completion-cycle-threshold,
tho in the minibuffer you can also trigger it explicitly via
minibuffer-force-complete and similar command should be provided
alongside completion-at-point).

If you use the `initials' completion style, "wcb" will match
"with-current-buffer" (along with various others), so if we add a good
sorting based on known usage frequency (as suggested by the OP), the
cycling completion will behave very similarly to his abbrevs.

        Stefan