Re: Emacs for mail: VM - WL - GNUS

From: trebol55555
Subject: Re: Emacs for mail: VM - WL - GNUS
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 16:29:42 +0000

James Freer <jessejazza@googlemail.com> writes:
> Many thanks for the suggestion. I have to say that i don't find emacs
> particularly user friendly... i get the impression that it's intended
> to be like that - even after one's gone and bought the book. I did
> look into offlineimap but again i haven't found it easy to follow.
>
> james

Emacs is more or less a lisp interpreter. The basic macros that are part
of emacs are "newbie" user friendly (In fact there are a lot of buttons,
menus an other things which a experiment user never use).  When you try
make other things a little more sophisticated like fetch your mail, people
who write docs think you already have experience with emacs
configurations. The wiki is good, the docs are good, and both are user
friendly (not "newbie" user friendly, it's impossible).

I think the best way (just for me...) to fetch mail from a external
server is download it with fetchmail, filtered it with procmail, and
read it with gnus. Gnus can fetch the mail directly but this method is
slowly (when you open gnus, you must wait for the
connect-identification-download-filter process).

Gnus is a big toy with a lot of functionalyties, so if you are new in
emacs and just read the manual, you'll shoot your head, not your
foot. If you want, send me a private mail with a fictitious data (imap
or pop server, user id, password, and smtp server if you want send mail
via external server) and I will send you all the information necessary
to get a working MTA & MUA with this applications and emacs-gnus.

More possibilities you want, more configurations you must do!
At first is slowly... and hard... and bored... very bored...
But when you start to walk a little more fast, oooh, you don't want do
anything outside emacs!

So don't give up!

Best wishes,
Trebol.