Re: Windows splitting: prefer only 2 windows horizontal spliting.

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Windows splitting: prefer only 2 windows horizontal spliting.
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 08:46:53 +0100

> How prefer horizontal splitting I know:
>

> (when window-system
>   ;; Prefer horizontal windows splitting.
>   (setq split-height-threshold 0)
>   (setq split-width-threshold nil)
>   )

This prefers "vertical" splitting in Emacs parlance ;-) But why do you
check for `window-system' and why do you set `split-height-threshold' to
zero?

> But how stop Emacs from splitting when already 2 windows?
> So reuse existing window.

Whenever you ask Emacs to display a buffer, it looks at the largest
window on your frame which, since you don't make side-by-side windows,
is the highest window on your frame.  In `window-splittable-p' the
following happens:

             (>= (window-height window)
                 (max split-height-threshold
                      (* 2 (max window-min-height
                                (if mode-line-format 2 1))))))))))

Since `split-height-threshold' is zero, a new window is split off
whenever the height of the largest window (the value of `window-height'
for that window) is at least as large as two times the minimum height of
the largest window (the value of `window-min-height').

Try setting `split-height-threshold' and `split-width-threshold' both to
nil.  This should allow at most two windows on your frames.

martin