Re: Any advantages to recompile Emacs...

From: Ian Eure
Subject: Re: Any advantages to recompile Emacs...
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 15:14:40 -0800

On Jan 22, 2009, at 1:56 PM, Francis Moreau wrote:

Think of Unicode (8 bit -> 32 bit)! And if your hardware is 64 bit,
then GNU Emacs could have been configured and compiled for this,
using pointers that large.

Does emacs embed many unicode strings ??

Probably not, and UTF-8 doesn't take any more space unless you use non- ASCII characters. For plain text, it's the same size.

Did you compile in debug information?

I haven't asked for when doing the './configure' thing so I wouldn't
expect to have such info...

[me checking]

Well, this 'configure' thing compiled emacs with the debug info
(damn!), so after striping emacs, the size looks more reasonable:
9.9M.

The default behavior of GCC is to include debugging symbols. You need to explicitly remove them if they're not needed.

 - Ian