Re: minibuffer output to buffer

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: minibuffer output to buffer
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 23:28:11 +0000 (UTC)

In article <mailman.335.1163022806.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Dieter Wilhelm  <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> wrote:
>Gary Wessle <phddas@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> how can I get the output which shows in the mini buffer into the
>> current buffer.
>> example
>> M-x emacs-version shows in minibuffer.
>
>With a numeric prefix of M-x.  For example:
>
>I'm used to press the ALT key while typing - then x (M-- M-x)
>or C-u M-x
>or C-1 M-x
>or M-1 M-x
>
>--
>    Best wishes
>
>    H. Dieter Wilhelm
>    Darmstadt, Germany

COOL!

THANK YOU!!!

But -- what's this use of the ALT key?

Does nothing (as prefix) for me -- msg still goes to minibuf (or whatever
it's called).

Now, I'm using a SUN keyboard (with control-key in "right",
"old-time" location, left of "a"), on sunBlade-100, Solaris 9.

What effect might that have (on my ALT working differently
from yours)?

Thanks,

David